Five Principles that Guide Our Vision for a Sustainable Gabriola:
Photo credit: Victor Anthony
- A recognition of the interdependence of life in all its forms and that the decisions we make today will have a profound effect on future generations.
- A recognition that resources are finite and that living within our resources means there are limits to growth.
- A commitment to weigh the costs and benefits of decisions fully, including the long-term costs and benefits to future generations.
- The belief that sustainability requires the exercise of individual rights and responsibilities in the context of the greater community good.
- Notwithstanding that Gabriola is part of the larger world community, we believe that Gabriolans are entitled to have democratic control over decisions that impact their community.